top of page

Prescott AZ: Sharlot Hall Museum

November 2019. Referred to as the "Crown Jewel" of Arizona's Central Highlands, the museum was founded in 1928 by Sharlot M. Hall. She was a poet and historian who aimed to preserve the past.



The Governor's Mansion was built in 1864 for the first territorial governor, John Goodwin. In 1927, Sharlot Hall moved into the mansion and opened it as a museum in 1928.


Across the "street" from the Governor's Mansion is the Fremont House. Built in 1875, it was home to the fifth territorial governor of Arizona, John Charles Fremont (1878-1881).


To the west of the Governor's Mansion sits the Sharlot M. Hall Building. Built in 1934-1936, it is one of the prime exhibit halls for the museum, including two galleries.



Fort Misery is the oldest log building associated with the Territory of Arizona, built on the banks of Granite Creek in 1863-1864.



The School House is a replica of the first public schoolhouse built in the Arizona Territory in Prescott in 1867. The replica was constructed in 1962.



The Ranch House was built in the early 1930's to represent the kind of early ranch homes that populated the Prescott area.